Wednesday 20 December 2006

ShopSmart, shop... somewhere else...

Okay, Christmas time, wonderful time (I might post more about what Christmas means later... or not...), present time. In particular, getting presents for other people.

The internet is wonderful, lots of options, various prices, various options for getting them... ah, but the internet sucks. (In this tale no links will be provided, as this is a negative review!)

So I'm looking on Ferrit, find a great set of cooking dishs, nice and cheap compared with getting them through the stores(*). I enter my information, including credit card, smile that postage is currently free, and hit go... credit card transaction declined! (The hey?? It was fine when I ordered other stuff just the other day!)

Next step, go directly to the store website for ShopSmart, and yes I can order direct through them (although now I have to pay courier charges). I order it, enter my PO Box address and hit go. Fine so far, but then they contact me (Thursday) to get a physical address. If I must, I go for my business address as people nick mail from my residental address (which is a rant you would have been treated to if I started blogging last year).

Eventually, Tuesday, a package for me turns up. Dumped by New Zealand Couriers outside the work dock/loading area and just left, only found because the mail lady was doing other stuff out there!

And there's no packaging inside the (rather large) box. Yes, the items themselves were fine, but the individual packaging could do with protection!

Long short, don't trust Ferrit, ShopSmart or NZ Couriers...


(*) Conversely, there was one book I got elsewhere which was half the store price, and a quater the Ferrit price!

4 comments:

Peter Wogan said...

I'm Peter Wogan, head of marketing at Ferrit.co.nz. Sorry to hear that you had a good, bad and ugly experience of using Ferrit. Good in that you could search for and compare products (we don't mind where the purchase is completed, the comparison part is key to the value of Ferrit). Bad that the fundamentals didn't work i.e. payment... if you can send me your username I can check out whether that was an issue at this end or some other reason. And ugly re the delivery experience. I can assure you that your feedback will be used to improve the experience of using the site. Email address is peter.wogan@ferrit.co.nz - would love the chance to rebuild your trust in the site.
PW

Jamas Enright said...

Have to say I'm impressed by the response. (And will probably still use Ferrit occasionally to look for ideas.) I will email, but note to readers that I was using the unregistered option of buying without registering which may have been a factor.

(Also wondering how Peter found this review... does he read my blog? Was it pointed out to him? A search? One wonders...)

Peter Wogan said...

Google Alerts is how I found about your experience of using Ferrit.

PW

Jamas Enright said...

Ah. Cheers.

BTW, to follow up on this, Ferrit found that the card was rejected at the bank end. If this was due to me mistpying numbers or a electronic hiccup or... unknown...