Saturday 17 February 2007

On the buses

Bus fun in the capital as we don't have enough drivers for the routes the city promises. And yes, this affects me as well.

That said, I am o na very popular route, with three main bus routes going up the street next to where I am. Still, there are some buses I like to catch that haven't been running to time, or at all, recently. Of course, it would help if we had less people, and it would be nice if, as in my day (ha!), snot-nosed brat kids stood for the adults to take a seat (oh, the number of kids that suddenly vacate seats when we get to the Wellington High School stop...).

That all said, I am reminded of a wee story back many a year when I was but... actually, when I was going to university. Caught the number 18, which goes down Taranaki Street, then turns up Vivian Street and onto the university. Only, one time... it didn't. Kept on going down Taranaki.

Fortunately, the traffic was such that we didn't go to far, and while I might have been interested to see where we did end up, I had to get to the campus, so I went forward and had a few words with the driver. Also fortunately, Taranaki is a nice wide two-way street, but it was still an experience seeing a bus try to u-turn...

No comments: