Tuesday 30 October 2007

"You should see..."

There are a few people out there that think I should go see Jaws. I have a simple policy when it comes to recommendations: okay then, you arrange it.

If you consider the movie to be really good, then you would probably have a copy. So you could lend it to me.

And if you don't have a copy, I do have to wonder if it really is all that good, but it's possible that it might be something that makes a great first viewing but not a second as the big twist is now known. Then another option would be to rent it... only, if you think it's so good, then you pay for the rental and I'll watch it.

Either way, either put up or shut up. Don't rave about it then say "go off and spend your time on it". I have other things to do, so don't see why I should go out of my way to make an effort if you can't make one either.

This may seem like a rather brusque proposal, but if it's really that good...

(Conversely, I have one or two lending copies of Firefly ready to go at a moment's notice...)

[END]

5 comments:

Paul Scoones said...

Jaws is Rochelle's all-time favourite movie. She's watched it numerous times and if we happened to live in the same city I'm sure she'd be willing to lend you the DVD.

Jaws is an important and influential movie in the history of American cinema as it is widely regarded as establishing the 'summer blockbuster', and also made Steven Spielberg's career.

But... I've never fully shaken a childhood phobia of sharks, so it's not one I particularly enjoy rewatching! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, all I said was that it was quite good! I was also suprised that you hadn't seen it - for me it was one that I saw maybe when I was 11 or 12 and it had a lasting impression. As Paul mentions it's quite an influential film.

Now, if you want to know about cool NEW movies that you should see...well, I saw Death Proof in the weekend and loved it. If you like Tarantino you'll love it, conversely if you're not a fan of his it won't do too much for you.

Jamas Enright said...

Probably go see Deathproof when it screens at Readings. Completely missed Grindhouse when that was on.

Anonymous said...

Has Grindhouse been on? Grindhouse is the double feature of Death Proof and Planet Terror but I read that overseas (i.e. out of America) that they would be showing the movies separately. I guess the Grindhouse double feature would be the sort of thing that would be played at film festivals etc.

Jamas Enright said...

I saw the cardboard display advertising at Reading it a while ago, so assumed it was on and I just missed it.