Monday 3 December 2007

I like chicken!

But it looks like I should, as chicken is full of bugs. Damn that evolution!

The bacteria of two chickens tested resistant to apramycin. They also proved resistant to another two antibiotics from the same family - gentamicin and tobramycin - used for serious human infections.


Oh, that sounds bad... I guess. The article compares this finding with that of the Ribena scandal (was it big enough to call a scandal?), in which another schoolgirls did a scientific experiment that produced alarming results. I think this points to the conclusion that we should stop all school science experiments immediately! They are clearly getting in the way of business profits!

Still, at least we can spin this as not a problem:

"What Jane has done is taken a very small snapshot and it has shown a surprising observation," he said. "But it's a time-specific snapshot and it's not a good look."


Ah, so it's a matter of "yeah, that might have been true, like, yesterday, but it might not be the case today!" I get that, great excuse...

But since, if I was restricted to just one type of meat, I would choose chicken, I'm not giving up the habit just yet.

[END]

4 comments:

Alden Bates said...

Surely an argument for cooking the chicken properly before eating it, rather than not eating it at all? :)

Jamas Enright said...

Let's not go crazy here!

Peter A said...

Having done my time on chicken drive, I'm not that keen on chicken anymore.

I remember reading the opinion of a health professional (not a naturopath or a vegan activist) who said that chicken should come with a hazard label, it's that suspect most of the time.

Then you got the ethical side - the life of a broiler chicken is short and unpleasant... nah. Organic chooks are fine, but not the other kind.

Peter A said...

Er, that should be staphylococcus drive, not chicken drive.