Friday 13 June 2008

I am (ghost) busted

My recent post on Brad Scott drew some criticism as it was a personal attack on the man. Only... it wasn't. I was attacking ghost busters in general (nearly all comments were at that level), with Mr Scott as a local example. The worst line I can see "I got some problems with this chap." Let me revise that now as "I got some problems with this chap as a ghost buster."

I have no issue with the person in particular. The commentators all say that he is a nice guy and a sincere person. Let me agree: Brad Scott is a nice guy, a sincere person and doesn't charge for his services.

However, being nice or sincere does not make one above criticism. Just as not being nice nor sincere (and I'm suspecting people would put me in that category) would do likewise. It relates to how the message is taken, not the quality of the message (in general most people respond more positively to a nice and sincere person than to one who isn't).

As for "So all I am saying before you attack someone you know nothing about, think because the next person you have a go at won't be as forgiving." (Again, I'm attacking the role, not the person.) We live in a culture which has "the right of free speech". I'm exercising that right, just as the commentators are. I might be right, I might be wrong, but don't say I'm not allowed to say something.
Moreover, we are not living in a culture that has "the right not to be offended". That way lies extreme censorship, as I'm sure everyone would agree. If one is offended, either take the right to freely speech back or ignore it. Indeed, I am amazed anyone reads this blog, and surprised that I have any kind of reputation at all.

I'm sure this post will draw just as much criticism as the last one, but I'll try to be clear again: Brad Scott is a nice guy and a sincere person. It is the ghost buster role I have issues with, and ghost busters in general, not him in particular. I would have made those same general comments had I been talking about, for example, the TV show "Ghost Hunters".

[END]

No comments: