Friday 14 November 2008

srorriM

Mostly spur of the moment, I caught another movie last night... and it was brilliant!

I've complained before about American horror movies, but Mirrors was a fantastic piece of cinema... so it didn't entirely shock me when I found out it was based on a Korean picture. Still, this movie was remade right. The most important point in this sort of movie is to build atmosphere, and this movie piles it on in spades (there are several "surprise!" moments, and they got me. If anyone had done the "hand on the shoulder" gag...).

The concept is quite easily, a variant on the haunted house, this time a department store with mirrors. Lots and lots of mirrors. Always thought that mirrors were a great source of supernatural weirdness, so this movie was a grand moment for me. The climax moment was a bit "we need something here" that didn't entirely fit the build up, but then the final scene was very well done.

Kiefer Sutherland is always good at playing a tough guy and a guy going over the edge, so he well fit this role. Paula Patton gets some actual scenes to star in, and Amy Smart doesn't get enough screen time.

I really need to see the original, but in the mean time encourage people to go see this! (And also thought this would be a good HC mod... I need to stop doing that.)

[END]

No comments: