Monday 23 February 2009

Technology features!

According to the many pieces of paper that came with the computer, some model versions have a finger print reader (not this one, sadly)! Now that'd be cool to have. Did lead me to wonder if you had some kind of scanner like this (either finger or eye or...) and had an operation or lost the appendage or similar, what would you do then? (I presume there's some kind of override you can have, but if there isn't...)

The computer itself is an "entertainment centre" and does have a neat interface to what is called "Quickplay" (this allows various files or DVDs etc to be access and played), with lots of Christmas Tree lit touch buttons. No fast-forward or rewind buttons though (just chapter skips). It also comes with a dinky wee remote that's about the size of a credit card, but awkwardly shaped. It's a cute thing, but I feel like I'm going to break it whenever I hold it.

(And speaking of lights, there is a light right beside the power cord that stays on as long as that is plugged in, which is annoying overly bright at night. Do we need to know if the computer is plugged in? May be in extreme diagnostic circumstances, but why for every day use?)

And if that isn't all... it does come with TV, but considering the computer thought it was in Singapore when I started it, I'm not thinking it accesses local station. That said, I also picked up (because it was on sale) a USB TV Tuner, which can allow me to access Freeview! (Fine, yes, I don't watch TV and I'm still hooked into Saturn, but Saturn doesn't do Freeview, and now if I entirely drop Saturn, can still get into lots of things.) Admittedly, I haven't tried it yet, due to other things to deal with, but it's a nice accessory.

There might be other stuff going on as well with this, but I'm mainly glad I have a machine with decent grunt.

[END]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let me know how it goes with the USB tv tuner. I used to have an internal one that I used for about six months in 2002. It was okay, but then Saturn jacked up their prices for having a second Saturn box so I went with just one box.