Saturday 14 March 2009

Reading Ripoff - To the cheap seats!

While watching that movie below, I treated myself to the joys of the Reading Cinelounge... the very decreasing joys...

When it started, CineLounge seats cost about $25 (or so), for which you got to sit in the big laz-e-boy chairs, have as much soft drink and popcorn as you could take into the threatre, and get food delivered to your seat (for extra). (There was also the option for just the seat and nothing extra for around $17.)

Then, the costs went up. Fair enough, business movies on, all the prices went up, but to $32... eh...

And then the soft drink and popcorn was something they gave you when the movie started, if you asked for it. No longer were there machines to dispense these things, it was by inquiry only. No idea if it was infinite refill.

And now... no soft drink, no popcorn. So you are paying $32 for a big seat... and having the option of paying more money for extra food. No idea if the 'seat only' option is there, but there only difference, if there was, is paying $10 (or whatever) to be allowed to pay more for the extra food.

I'm hoping this is a good business model to someone, 'cos I'm not seeing it. And yes, most of the normal seats were empty, so I know where I'm sitting from now on.

[END]

1 comment:

Foo said...

I think that with the current financial issues that the world is facing, people are spending more on staying in with a DVD/home entertainment stuff instead of going out to the movies as much. Of course, the really big block busters do get people out to the movies, but I was surprised there weren't more at the screening you went to. I guess it has been out for a week.

I get to see it at an iMax in a week and a half.

What did you think of the little Watchmen Saturday morning cartoon thingy?