Thursday 12 March 2009

Woot!

I have to admit, I'm surprised. I didn't expect it, and yet, it happened. I got my old laptop back! Noel Leeming simply replaced the motherboard and DVD drive (which I think was merely a symptom of the motherboard breakage, but if it was easy for them...).

I had considered it written off, hence the previous new laptop posts. Really, is replacing the motherboard now become nothing? I was thinking they would come back with a price, it'd be high, and we'd both say "don't worry about it" (although I would have asked if the files could have been saved).

But... I got it back! Way to go five year warranty!

Of course the first thing I did was to back up the files. As is recommended. And hit just how slow USB 1.0 is... and how amazingly fast it is. How speedy has computers come? How dependent are we on them? And how annoying is Windows that it locks files?

Seriously, "this file is locked and cannot be copied" (or whatever the error message is). It's my computer, why can't I access the file? And no wonder I was running low on space, various AVI files were in the Temp Directory. What? That's several gigs there! Just what is stored on the computer that we don't know about it.

Anyway... I got the computer back. Yay!

[END]

No comments: