Tuesday 20 April 2010

Out Copping

Bruce Willis doesn't have a great track record when it comes to comedies. I am in the minority that liked Hudson Hawk, but even I'm not a fan of The Whole Nine Yards (haven't seen the sequel). This is a Bruce Willis comedy directed by Kevin Smith, with the added talent of Tracy Morgan...

Yeah... it bites. Let's not beat around the bush, this is simply a bad movie.

In this movie, two cops, trough an unlikely set of circumstances, become involved in a major drug trafficking ring and hilarity ensues. This isn't breakthrough in terms of plot, and there aren't any surprises here. The only thing that marginally saves it are the characters, with the unlikely pairing of Willis and Morgan being treated completely straight and so it works. The characters have moments of realness, in between the wacky hijinks.

But this movie isn't saved by the acting. Tracy Morgan isn't Paul Hodges as much as he's Tracy Morgan. I've seen 30 Rock, and this character isn't far removed from that one. As for Bruce Willis, I don't know what the hell he was doing in this movie. He clearly wasn't engaged on any level, and looked as bored as the audience was. (Okay, there were a few laughs, but mostly just 'yeah, I see that, that's slightly amusing that is, glad I saw that'...)

I paid money for this, so now I can judge it. And my judgment is: save your own money.

[END]

1 comment:

fantomas said...

I enjoyed Hudson Hawke as well. Especially how they used songs for timing their heists.