Friday 1 April 2011

I've Been Watching...

Because it's been a long time since I've seen it, when I spotted The Dominators in my pile of DVDs, I grabbed it and put it on.

In some ways, the environment of the story was more interesting than the story itself. This is a five-parter, where it was reduced from a six-parter... and I'm not sad about that. There is a fair bit of padding in this story as it is (running around? In a Troughton? You don't say...). Visit the capital... get captured by Dominators... escape... get captured again... escape and attack the Dominators... visit the capital again... and whatever.

But behind the scenes, we have the creation of Norman Ashby as the writers give up on dealing with the BBC. The Quarks as a replacement for the Daleks? Who thought that was a good idea? And then there's the revelation from Wendy Padbury about director Morris Barry... and the New Zealand connection! (and yes, I found the easter egg... terrific!)

Not as good a story as I recalled, but the DVD made up for it in other ways...

[END]

No comments: