Saturday 6 August 2011

Page One: Inside the New York Times

This is about the New York Times (as you might be able to tell from the title), and the fight to get onto the front page, Page One. It's also about: is the mainstream media still viable?

This really is a movie of pieces. The movie bounces around several topics, mainly concentrating on the media desk (which is reporting about how the newspaper media is operating), and some colourful characters (it's obvious why David Carr is often front and center before the camera). However... it's that it's a collection of items that causes problems, it hard to say that there's a central story that the movie is trying to tell, instead it gives brief snippets of little ideas that hopefully come together to make something as a whole (hey, it's like a newspaper, lots of articles! ... if the director was deliberately doing that, he can bite me).

Should have been a better film... and I bet Andrew Rossi is kicking himself that this is screening around the time of the Murdoch explosion...

[I saw this at the Paramount, and I was waaaaay in the back. If I had watched this on my netbook, I would have seen a bigger picture! Not doing that again...]


[END]

No comments: