Saturday 6 October 2012

Do the Headless Chickens

One of the first (if not the first) NZ albums I possessed [a word I use instead of 'own'... I'll let you infer from that...] was Stunt Clown by the Headless Chickens... just look at that cover. Amazing!

In particular, I had the cassette tape (remember those) version of this, which filled out the B side with extra versions of songs. Fantastic! Now, a lot of those songs are rather... depressing? Morbid? I wouldn't say 'emo' (because this was back in 1988), but certainly bleak. But can I find this on CD or otherwise available for download? Of course not! (If someone does, let me know.) [And I have no idea what happened to the tape, let alone me having any ability to play it.]

On the other hand, they went on to other great songs, especially after bringing on board Fiona McDonald. (And certainly NZ has its fair share of male bands fronted by female singers...) Which brings me to my favourite Headless Chickens song, which is rather bleak, but also just kick-ass:


[END]

5 comments:

Morgan Davie said...

I've got some music investigation experts on the case over on Facebook (should be viewable??)

http://www.facebook.com/morgue/posts/424151317645568

Jamas Enright said...

Ah, the power of crowdsourcing, cheers!

However, I just did have a sudden memory of where my tapes are... and indeed I have that tape! And many other tapes (what the hell was I thinking?). Now the small problem of playing it... let alone copying it... let alone digitising it...

Jet Simian said...

Hooray! You found the tape! Keep watching the new Flying Nun site though - there's good word to say that under Arch Hill they're making more of an effort to re-release FB's earlier material.

I have a stereo and access to a portable player if you're in need, but you may have to supply the phone/mic lead, and the PC and the software. Simples, otherwise :)

I'm sure you've heard my HC stories - discovered them thru RWP, followed their 'controversial' win in the Rheineck Rawk Awards, their first music I bought was Donca on the FN compilation In Love Wth These Times. Listened to most of the Expecting To Fly EP thru student radio in first year, saw them play in second year (pre-Fiona days, they were a bit boring and bewildering and oddly hippedy-hoppity, they threw fake money around doing 'Million Dollar Dream' etc). Body Blow (first edition) was the first CD I ever bought. Saw them WITH Fiona in 93, first gig I went to with the wife in fact. fave song of theirs is Gaskrankinstation - that video debut was a big moment in my following them.

George I have less time for, but I won't poop on the party, and it is Flying Nun's only No. 1 single after all. I think MacDonald was better suited to Strawpeople though.

Jet Simian said...

Just realised one other thing to add: you know that HC's 'Cruise Control' contains vocal samples from two old NZ songs, right? "It's no use crying" in the bridge from Shona Laing's '1905' and in the verses "It's a lie" from... 'Tears' by the Crocodiles, as sung by Jenny Morris!

Mr Thad you're so seguey!

Jamas Enright said...

Ah, the depths of my ignorance of New Zealand music knows no bounds...