Wednesday 28 January 2015

Ghostbusting!

Yeah, let's talk about this great movie! As is Peter! As is Al! As is GuanoLad! And listen to the Digital Gonzo podcast for an indepth discussion.

Everyone knows the story, so I'm not going to talk about it too much. If you don't know it... go watch this movie! It's great! I watched a BluRay version of the movie, and saw lots of things in high definition... which they didn't probably want me to see. But while a lot of people can cite random bits and jokes from the movie, it is good to see the original again, with the actors' expressions, and full comic timing. Classic stuff. And not great animation effects, let's be honest. The dogs really don't work well, and Stay Puft gets transparent at times... but hey, it's all good.

I saw this when I was young... must have been around 10? I do know that that night I didn't like that I had my wardrobe so close. It was already not zero on the creepy factor, and the idea of a large dog hiding inside it didn't help at all.

But now, I went for the BluRay version, optimised for 4K TVs... I don't have a 4K TV, so had to go for the standard image. But one thing I was very disappointed about was that there was nothing else on the disc! No trailer, no Ray Parker Jr video, no commentary, nothing! The DVD was better in that respect. Was so much of the disc taken up with the large format that nothing else was available? For shame.

Anyway, this is a classic movie. The second one... I did like, but it didn't rate as high, but that's a story for another day.

[END]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the warnings about the Blu Ray - what a shame.
I only ever saw Ghostbusters 2 once, and seem to remember it as a very pale spectre of the first film - perhaps a rewatch and reassessment would be timely...

Jet Simian said...

To think I've held off getting the VD thinking the BR would have all the goodies! Not even a digital clean-up?

Oh well, there's always the reboot to possibly get things going...

BTW, the SFX Special I mention in my post is still available in town and at $18 is still pretty good value (mine's a library copy though) Given the astronomical prices the Making Of book seems to go for these days, it could be the closest you'll get until, well, you know...