Saturday 9 May 2015

"Comedy" Roasts

I've now seen two Comedy Central roasts, which makes me an expert of them! And... no sir, I don't like them.

The basic format is there is the roastee who is positioned, an mc to introduce the roasters (and get the first jabs in), the roasters have a go and then the roastee gets the final word. However... what's missing is the actual roasting of the roastee. What actually happens is that the various people come on, attack the mc, attack each other, throw maybe one jibe the roastee's way, and then say how wonderful that person is. Er... what?

And the people... I haven't heard of most of them. A lot of them seem to be professional roasters who do these shows and are otherwise unknown. And when they are just reading from notes, that's not even slightly indicating professionalism.

Yeah, I've seen two... and I think that's enough.

[END]

No comments: